Beau Sails South Part 2

Day 4
Hurray we got to sleep in today! Dad found a new place to take me for my morning business. It has a funny name…Gilligan’s Island and is only about the size of a basketball court. No one lives there so I have lots of privacy and nobody around to make more RULES about dogs! Mom made burritos for everyone for breakfast. I love it when she makes that because she always gives me the last bite of her burrito.

After breakfast we all piled into the dinghies to go exploring. We went to Cayo Costa State Park, which is its own Island and only accessible by boat. We walked about a mile to the other side where there is a beautiful crescent shape beach. The island has cabins you can rent and tent camp grounds. There were a lot of people there on spring break.

When we returned to the boat we just hung out for a while. The humans all went to dinner at the famous little restaurant on Cabbage Key. They were talking nonsense about taping a dollar bill to the ceiling, and leaving it. That is like me leaving a perfectly good dog biscuit on the ground at the park. Those humans, sometimes I just don’t get them. On the bright side, I got another trip to Gilligan’s Island. Tomorrow we head back north.

Day 5
We weighed (that means raising it I guess) anchor at 8:30 a.m. (I am getting good at nautical terms.) We decided to go up the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW). At first I was horrified that we would have those awful big waves again because it was very rolly but that was just when we were crossing Charlotte Harbor. The water calmed down and we had a beautiful trip. We went through our first swing bridge and Mom was at the helm for the first time going under the next draw bridge. She looked kind of nervous, but did a great job.

We dropped the anchor in Lemon Bay by mid afternoon. We took the dinghy to a little restaurant on the water called the White Elephant. They allow good dogs to join their parents for lunch. Everyone was very nice to me and the humans loved the food. All I got was water but that is ok because everyone walked by and petted me and told me how handsome I am. I let them fawn over me because I know it makes my dad happy. Then it was back to the boat where everyone read or napped for a while.

The humans dinghied over to Bob and Carol’s boat for cocktails and dinner and left me to sleep the afternoon off. They had salmon and pasta and Dad told me it was very good. There is a very nice park near the anchorage where Dad took me before we all turned in.

Day 6
Before we weighed anchor this morning Dad took me back to the park and joy of joys I found a tennis ball. He threw it for me over and over. I LOVE tennis balls and thought it was nice that someone left one there for me to play with.

We went through EIGHT bridges today. Wow was it every crazy. There were boats everywhere, especially around Venice where my GG and Papa like to visit. Who knew that so many people liked to drive around in boats, both with and without sails? We were lucky that a friend had given us a list of the bridge names and opening routines so we knew what to expect at each one. I was so relaxed that I slept through part of it but at times I would sit up in the cockpit and watch the bridges go up. An interesting observation; whenever one boat passes another everyone waves at each other. I would wave to if I could but…

We pulled into Sarasota mid afternoon and dropped anchor. It is very pretty there. They have another fun water side restaurant called O’Leary’s that allows dogs to come with their parents. They even provide real water bowls to drink out of. We spent some time there and walked around a small park for a bit afterwards so Dad and Mom could show me where they have shot engagement photo sessions for some of their destination wedding bride and grooms.

The humans walked into town to Barnacle Bill’s for dinner. I stayed behind and rested. Then it was down for the last night of our great adventure.

Day 7
We weighed anchor at 9:30 and had a nice motor sail across Sarasota Bay. We went under the Longboat Pass Bridge and into the gulf about 2 hours later. The waves were really big again but this time they were following us so it wasn’t quite as bad according to my dad. I was nervous and yes you guessed it, my mom gave me medicine to help me relax. It was a really fast sail, sometimes going around 7 to 7 1/2 knots and at one point we had dolphins swimming in our bow wake for about 10 minutes. They were really big and would roll over and show us their tummies. Sometimes they would even jump out of the water. I like dolphins a lot and my dad and mom always get excited when they see them.

We pulled in to our marina about 4:30. The humans cleaned the boat inside and out then we relaxed for the rest of the evening marveling over the fun and beautiful weather we had. It was a very exciting adventure that Dad and Mom are still smiling about. Being a sailing dog is a great thing. You should check it out if you ever get the chance.


2 thoughts on “Beau Sails South Part 2

  1. Beau, I’m green with envy. That’s much better than being green due to all those big waves. 🙂