They call me Houdini

Most of the time my posts are about my dad, mom and photography however, this one is all about me.

We were in one of our favorite anchorages by Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub and Moore’s Stone Crab Restaurant off Longboat Key.  It is very beautiful there and as a side note, we saw an amazing dolphin show on Sunday morning.

The day started out nice as I got my “swim” on in the morning, off the back of our boat using the special step that allows me to get into the boat all by myself.  I think my parents were trying to tire me out so they could leave me on the boat while they went exploring.  I figured out what was going on when they put me below and closed the companion way doors.  As they boarded the dinghy I sat on the top step crying, thinking they might take pity on me and let me go with them.  Sometimes it works…sometimes it doesn’t. This time it was not to be.

They have left me on the boat many times before and I normally use that as an opportunity to get a nice long nap.  For some reason it seemed different on this day.  I contemplated the situation and came up with the idea to climb over the louvered doors…after all it works for Spidey!

Here I go off the back of the boat

After my great escape I stood in the cockpit looking for Mom & Dad around the anchorage.  Not seeing them, I did what any self respecting Lab would do and jumped in the water.  Thank goodness Dad had left my “special step” down.

I swam from boat to boat just knowing I would find them.  Unbeknownst to me, people get alarmed seeing an unaccompanied dog swimming around the bay.  Some nice people on a wave runner picked me up and took me back to our boat.  Since my parents were still not there, I figured the thing to do would be to swim some more.  You know…when the cat’s away…

After jumping on and off a few times I started to get tired. A nice man named Matthew was watching me from his boat.  He must have known somehow that I was getting tired because he got in his dinghy and came to rescue me.  His lady, Julie tried to call my dad but Dad had left his phone on the boat.  Not knowing what to do with me they decided to get a table for three at Mar Vista and have me join them for dinner.  The nice people at Mar Vista gave me treats and a bowl of water.  I laid down to wait wondering when my peeps would return.

I saw Julie and many other people in the anchorage waving their arms and yelling my dad’s name at an approaching dinghy.  HOORAY!!! It was my mom and dad and boy was I happy to see them.  Now I know what those kids that lose their parents in the mall feel like.

All’s well that ends well thanks to my new friends Matthew and Julie.  I understand they write a blog too, so for their take on this adventure…give it a read at Matthew and Julie sail away.

Beau Out
(I’m dog tired)

One thought on “They call me Houdini

  1. OMG…..sooo funny!! I can just see him playing and doing his thing without you!! Loved the story! Teresa